Visiting Students' Elective Rotation
Visiting students are offered a month of elective at the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology after applying through the Deanís office. Their applications are processed by Dr. A. Nassar, the coordinator
of the elective rotation. No more than two students can be accommodated at any time.
On the day of their arrival, the students should report to the Chairmanís office on the 7th floor (Room C-748) where Dr. Nassar is contacted for an orientation session.
- Job Duties and Responsibilities
- All through the rotation, the students will work as observers. They will not have the chance to see or examine patients alone. They will have the chance to observe medical students or residents interview and examine patients and perform procedures on them.†
- Usually, students will rotate equally on the Obstetrical and Gynecological services (two weeks for each service in a one-month elective).†
- If the student has special interests in a particular aspect of Obstetrics and Gynecology, special arrangements can be made with Dr. Nassar before the start of the rotation.
- Students should present for the
am rounds at 7:00 am. The rounds are held everyday during the week (on 7-N while in the GYN rotation, and in Delivery Suite while in the DS or OBS rotation); the elective students will be off on weekend days. Afternoon rounds start at 5:00
- During the GYN rotation, students are expected to attend operating room sessions and possibly scrub on some cases with residents performing the surgeries.†
- Out-patient clinics start at 8:30 am and 1:30 pm everyday and at 9:30 am on Wednesday. Students are expected to attend all the Specialty Clinics (Infertility Clinic on Monday and Thursday am, Oncology Clinic on Wednesday am, High Risk Clinic on Wednesday pm). †
- During the DS rotation, they will get exposed to various cases of uncomplicated normal vaginal deliveries, assisted vaginal deliveries (forceps and vacuum), cesarean deliveries, and complicated OBS patients. †
- On some occasions, they will have the chance to observe some obstetrical and gynecological ultrasounds performed in Room 700, as well as, some antenatal diagnosis procedures (CVS, amniocentesis).
- Educational Activities
Students are expected to attend the educational activities held in the
department which include the following:
- The lecture series given to the third year medical students according to a preset schedule.
- Attending rounds on Monday 7:00 am and Wednesday 4:00 pm, unless otherwise specified.
- Resident Education Conference on Wednesdays at 12:00 am in the departmental
- Grand rounds on Wednesdays at 7:30 am in Room SB-101.
- Case Discussion
The students will be asked to provide a written paper where they present one of the cases that they participated in managing: discussing the case, the studies performed and the treatment options.
Evaluation of the students will be provided by Dr. Nassar based on recommendations given by the residents who supervised their work.
- Visiting Medical Students' Application Form
To access the complete visiting medical students' application form, please follow this link:
http://www.aub.edu.lb/main/academics/Documents/visiting/fm-visiting.pdf (pdf format)
- Application Procedure
Fill the application form and send to the Deanís Office along with your
For any further inquiries, please contact Dr. Nassar the coordinator of the
elective rotation firstname.lastname@example.org