Founders' Day: AUB Celebrates 135th Anniversary
New Office of Grants and Contracts
Provost Peter Heath recently announced that AUB has created a new unit called Office of Grants and Contracts. Director of the unit is Carolyn Hoffmann, who will work with Rosie Nasser, along with part-time consultant, Sheila Bernson who will continue to specialize in our ASHA grants. Both Ms. Hoffmann and Bernson have law degrees from the United States.
The mission of this new office is to support faculty in attracting and administering sponsored research grants from foundations, corporations and organizations on an international basis. The name should not be confused with that of the unit which processes AUB's other contractual functions such as purchasing, business services, and physical plant, where the usual policies and procedures remain in place.
research projects that were heretofore administered by REP have moved
to the new office, which will also administer URB funded projects. Located
in the Saab Medical Library,
rooms 205-206, their extension is 5979. Faculty requesting extensions
or modifications of their grants should address their letters to Ms.
Hoffmann. In the meantime administration of MPP funded projects will
remain within the Faculty of Medicine.
Heath noted that he was "delighted" that Ms. Hoffmann and
her co-workers were joining AUB. "We hope that the existence of
this office will aid faculty in locating funding for their research
projects," Dr. Heath said.
purpose of the Office of Grants and Contracts is to support AUB's basic
mission ofteaching, research and service by helping faculty and staff
members apply for and obtain external funding for research and other
educational purposes. Core services and responsibilities include:
Reviewing all grants and contracts proposals submitted to outside funding
agencies and making appropriate recommendations to the Provost for their
4. Helping project directors and principle investigators administer and follow the financial administration rules and procedures of their grants and contracts;
5. Helping set up budget accounts for accepted awards;
6. Reviewing, disseminating and explaining the policies of outside private and governmental funding agencies;
7. Negotiating grant and contract awards for the university with outside agencies of sponsored funding;
8. Negotiating and preparing subcontracts from university awards to other institutions and organizations;
9. Interpreting and implementing university policies related to grants and contracts;
10. Providing staff assistance to the University Research Board (URB) and to the Institutional Review Board (IRB), which administers the AUB Human Subjects Review process.
The AUB Bulletin Today is the official news publication of the American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon.
It is published monthly by the Office of Information and Public Relations, Diana Sabbagh Building, Room 111. Tel.: 01-353228, Fax: 01-363234 or AUB extension: 2670/1, e-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsible Editor, Dirctor of Information and Public Relations: Ibrahim Khoury - Deputy Editor and Layout Designer: Henry Matthews - Advisor Nabeel G. Ashkar - Associate Editor: Elain Larwood
Web Design: iMAD Zeineddine e-mail: email@example.com