Solis Monge arrived in Lebanon on September 4 to spend four months at
FAFS. A student of EARTH University in Costa Rica, Bernal Solis is a third
year student who is spending his required semester of training abroad.
His interest is in Dairy Production and Technology, so besides working
at AREC, he is also being trained at the newly established dairy operations
in the Beqaa.
He will be working and learning at AUB under the AUB/EARTH agreement signed
last February by President of EARTH University Dr. Jose Zaghluland, and
AUB President John Waterbury.
The agreement calls for an exchange of students at different levels of
training, as well as faculty exchange, particularly for those on sabbatical
leave. The agreement also provides for master's students at AUB interested
in projects in the humid tropics, to do their thesis work in Costa Rica.
One such student, Amal Sabra, spent two months at EARTH University last
year studying medicinal properties of local and Lebanese plant species.
Another FAFS student, Rania Touma, will visit EARTH University in November
to train in organic farming practices.
Faculty members at EARTH University also hope to send master's students
to work at AUB. EARTH University recruits students from throughout Latin
America and its faculty members come from Latin America, the US and Far
Eastern countries. They are all Spanish speaking.
For FAFS Research
members spent research time in US universities this summer under the long-term
faculty development program.
1. Dr. Riad Baalbaki, Associate Professor, did research at the University
of California, Riverside, from July 13 to September 15.
2. Dr. Elie Barbour, Professor, researched at the School of Veterinary
Medicine, University of Minnesota, from August 7 to September 8.
3. Dr. Imad Toufeili, Associate Professor, conducted research at Rutgers
University during August, 2000.
4. Dr. Ramy Zurayk, Associate Professor, spent the month of August at
Oxford University in the UK doing research.
Day at the AUB Farm
cooperation with the Agriculture Chapter of the Alumni Association, held
its annual Sweet Corn Day at the Agriculture Research and Education Center
(AREC). Over 400 people attended the September 10 event, among them Provost
Peter Heath, Vice President John Bernson and FAFS Dean Nuhad Daghir.
Activities began with hayrides and a tour of AREC facilities. Staff from
the Athletics office supervised games for the nearly 100 children present,
who also enjoyed a small petting zoo of baby farm animals. The lunch menu
of barbecued chicken, baked potatoes, yogurt, vegetables, and plenty of
sweet corn was enjoyed by all.
FAFS Faculty Present Papers Abroad
1. Dr. Faraj El-Awar, Assistant Professor, presented a paper at the 93rd
Annual International meeting of the ASAE held in Milwaukee from July 9
2. Dr. Youssef Abu Jawdeh, Associate Professor, gave a paper at the "Workshop
on Plant Viruses Important to the Middle East," which was held at
the University of Wisconsin June 26-30.
3. Dr. Isam Bashour, Associate Professor, presented a paper at the Meeting
of the American Society of Agronomy and the Soil Society of America, which
took place in Delaware from June 18 to 21.
4. Dean N. Daghir, Professor, presented a paper at the American Poultry
Science Association meetings in Montreal, Canada, which was held from
5. Dr. Mohammad Farran, Associate Professor, presented a paper at the
American Poultry Science Association meetings in Montreal, Canada, August
6. Dr. Mustafa Haidar, Associate Professor, presented a paper at the Third
International Weed Science Conference in Brazil from June 6 to 11.
7. Dr. Nasri Kawar, Professor, presented a paper at the 220th American
Chemical Society Meeting held in Washington, DC from August 20 to 24.
8. Dr. Musa Nimah, Professor, presented a paper at the 2000 ASAE Annual
International Meeting held in Milwaukee, WI from July 9-12.
9. Dr. Adib Saad, Professor, presented a paper at the Annual Meeting of
the American Phytopathological Society held in New Orleans, LA from August
20 to 24.
10. Dr. Wajih Sawaya, Professor, presented a paper at the Institute of
Food Technologists meeting in Dallas, Texas from June 10 to 14.
11 Dr. Fawwak Sleiman, Professor, presented a paper at the joint meeting
of the American Dairy Science Association and the American Society of
Animal Science held in Baltimore, Maryland from July 24 to 28.