Tarif Khalidi | American University of Beirut
NAME: Tarif KHALIDI
ADDRESS: Center for Arab and Middle Eastern Studies, American University of Beirut
PLACE AND DATE OF BIRTH: Jerusalem, Palestine. January 24, 1938
Haileybury College, Hertford `S' Level, 1956, Latin, Greek and Ancient History
University College, Oxford B.A. Modern History, 1960; M.A., 1963
University of Chicago Ph.D. Islamic Studies, 1970
Instructor, Cultural Studies, American University of Beirut 1960-66
Assistant Professor, History Dept, A.U.B. 1970-76
Associate Professor, History Dept, A.U.B. 1976-84
Visiting Assoc Prof, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 1978
Professor, History Dept, A.U.B. 1984-96
Senior Research Associate, St.Antony's College, Oxford 1985-6
Visiting Overseas Scholar, St.John's College, Cambridge 1991-2
Sir Thomas Adams's Professor of Arabic, Cambridge 1996-2002
Professorial Fellow, King's College, Cambridge 1996-2002
Director, Centre of Middle Eastern Studies, Cambridge 1996-2000
Shaykh Zayid bin Sultan Professor of Arabic and Islamic Studies, A.U.B. 2002----
1. Islamic Historiography: The Histories of Mas`udi (Albany: SUNY Press, 1975).
2. Studies in the History of Arabic Islamic Culture (in Arabic; Beirut: Dar al-Tali`a, 1977)
3. A Study in the Meaning and Method of History (in Arabic; Beirut: Dar al-Tali`a, 1982)
4. Editor, Land Tenure and Social Transformation in the Middle East ( Beirut: American University of Beirut, 1984)
5. Classical Arab Islam (Princeton: Darwin Press, 1985)
6. Arabic Historical Thought in the Classical Period (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1994)
7. The Muslim Jesus; Sayings and stories in Islamic Literature ( Cambridge, Mass.:
Harvard University Press, 2001).
8. The Qur’an: A New Translation (London: Penguin Classics, 2008).
9. (Co-editor) Al-Jahiz: A Muslim Humanist for our Time (Wurzburg/Beirut: Ergon Verlag, 2009).
10. Images of Muhammad: Narratives of the Prophet in Islam Across the Centuries (New York: Doubleday, 2009).
B. CHAPTERS IN BOOKS:
1. " A Mosquito's Wing: Jahiz on the Progress of Knowledge" in R. Droubie, ed. Arabic and Islamic Garland: The Tibawi Festschrift (London: The Islamic Centre, 1977)
2. " Shaykh Ahmad `Arif al-Zayn and Al-`Irfan " in M. Buheiry, ed. Intellectual Life in the Arab East :1890-1939 ( Beirut: American University of Beirut, 1981).
3. " Some Classical Islamic Views of the City" in W.Qadi, ed. Studia Arabica et Islamica: Festschrift for Ihsan Abbas (Beirut: American University of Beirut,1981).
4. " Christian Theology and Muslim Kalam " (in Arabic) in E.Khuri, ed. Al-Masihiyyun al-`Arab ( "The Christian Arabs") (Beirut: Mu'assasat al-Dirasat al-`Arabiyya, 1981)
5. "Patterns of Tribal Settlement and Land Tenure in Early Medieval Palestine" in T.Khalidi, ed. Land Tenure and Social Transformation in the Middle East (Beirut: American University of Beirut, 1984)
6. "Islamic Historiography and Geography" in T.Mostyn and A.Hourani, eds. The Cambridge Encyclopaedia of the Middle East and North Africa (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1988)
7. " Space, Holiness and Time: Palestine in the Classical Arab Centuries" in D.Hopwood,ed. Studies in Arab History: The Antonius Lectures 1978-87 (London: Macmillan, 1990)
8. "Religion and Citizenship in Islam" in J.S. Nielsen, ed. Religion and Citizenship in Europe and the Arab World (London: Grey Seal Books, 1992)
9. "The Role of Jesus in intra-Muslim Polemics in the First Two Islamic Centuries" in S.K.Samir and J.S. Nielsen, eds. Christian Arabic Apologetics during the Abbasid Period ( Leiden: Brill, 1994).
10. Articles :"Baladhuri", "Ibn al-`Ibri", "Ibn Ishaq", "Ibn Khallikan", "Ibn Miskawayhi", "Ya`qubi" in D.R. Woolf, ed. A Global Encyclopedia of Historical Writing (New York and London: Garland Publishing, 1998).
11. "Unveiled: `Anbara Salam in England, 1925-27", in The Arabs and Britain: Changes and Exchanges (Cairo: The British Council, 1999).
12."The Arab World" in The Great World War 1914- 45 : Vol.2. The Peoples' Experience, edited by John Bourne, Peter Liddle and Ian Whitehead. (London: HarperCollins, 2001).
13. "The Battle of the Camel" in A. Neuwirth and A. Pflitsch eds. , Crisis and Memory in Islamic Societies (Beirut/Wurzburg: Ergon Verlag, 2001)
14. "Learning from Muslim History " in Michael Ipgrave,ed. The Road Ahead: A Christian-Muslim Dialogue (London: Church House Publishing, 2002).
15. “The Poetry of the Khawarij: Violence and Salvation” in Thomas Scheffler ed. Religion between Violence and Reconciliation (Beirut/Wurzburg: Ergon Verlag, 2002).
16. “Searching for Common Principles: a Plea and Some Remarks on the Islamic Tradition” in Jorn Rusen, ed. Western Historical Thinking (Oxford and New York: Berghahn Books, 2002).
17. "Islam, Self and Neighbors ca.1000 A.D." in James Heitzman and Wolfgang Schenkluhn eds. The World in the Year 1000 (Lanham MD: University Press of America, 2004)
18. “Foreword” to Sebastian Guenther ed. Ideas, Images and Methods of Portrayal: Insights into Classical Arabic Literature and Islam (Leiden: Brill, 2005).
19. “ Opening Remarks”, in `Isam Nassar and Salim Tamari eds. Social History of Bilad al-Sham; Biographical and Autobiographical Literature (in Arabic). (Beirut: Institute for Palestine Studies, 2007).
C. ARTICLES IN JOURNALS:
1. "Islamic Biographical Dictionaries: A Preliminary Assessment", Muslim World, vol.63, Jan. 1973.
2. "Mas`udi's Lost Works", Journal of the American Oriental Society, vol.94, Jan. 1974.
3. "`Abd al-Rahman al-Nasir", Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1974 ed.
4. "`Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan", Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1974 ed.
5. "Mu`tazilite Historiography", Journal of Near Eastern Studies, vol.36, no 1, Jan. 1976.
6. "Islam as a civilisation and Islam as a religion" (in Arabic), Qadaya `Arabiyya, vol.7, no 8, 1980.
7. "Palestinian Historiography: 1900-1948", Journal of Palestine Studies, vol. 9, no 3, Aug. 1980.
8. "The Concept of Progress in Classical Islam", Journal of Near Eastern Studies, vol 40, no 4, Oct. 1981.
9. (trans) "The Boasts of Blacks over Whites by al-Jahiz", Islamic Quarterly, vol. 25, 1981.
10. "The Arab Jesus", Theological Review of the Near East School of Theology, vol.
10/1-2, April-Nov, 1989.
11. "Islamic Views of the West in the Middle Ages", Studies in Interreligious Dialogue (The Netherlands), 5/1995/1.
12. "Reflections on Periodisation in Arabic Historiography", The Medieval History Journal, vol.1, number 1 (Jan-June, 1998).
13. Article “ Arabs” , Encyclopedia of the Qur’an, ed. J.D.McAuliffe , Leiden: Brill, 2002.
14. (with S.S.Agha) “Poetry and Identity in the Umayyad Age”, Al-Abhath, vol.50-51, (2002-2003).
15. “Jesus, Islam and World Dialogue”, Concilium, 39/ 4(October 2003).
16. (with Maher Jarrar) “Death and the Badi` in Early `Abbasid Poetry: The Elegy for al-Numayri by `Abdullah ibn al-Mu`tazz”, Al-Abhath, vol. 54 (2006).
17. "A World Historian and his Vision: at-Tabari, the Qur’an and History”, Al-Abhath, vol.55-56 (2007-2008).
D. CURRENT RESEARCH: